SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Pruning/training Newly Planted Mrs. Dudley Cross

kristimama
11 years ago

Hi all,

I'm confused about what to do with a newly planted Mrs. Dudley Cross that has one unwanted horizontal cane that doesn't seem to work no matter how I rotated the plant in the hole.

It's been in a 3 gallon pot for about a year, so it was a nicely branched plant with a few 3' canes and nice "scaffolding" as Paul Zimmerman videos say.

When we got it into the ground, I realized that of the 3 nice scaffold canes coming out of the bottom, 2 branch out sideways kind of balanced... one slightly to the left and one slightly to the right, but both kind of upright. The other one was a lot more horizontal, and coming out of the middle. The way we positioned the plant in the ground, this low horizontal branch goes out and touches the house. If we had turned the plant around so that this low branch would be sticking straight out over the lawn.

Paul Zimmerman says not to prune these scaffold branches much, but it seems like this horizontal branch needs to come out. It doesn't work in either scenario.

So do I cut it to the main stump at the ground?

Do I cut it at some point above a bud to encourage the direction of the new growth?

Or do I keep it and try to tie the cane to some sort of trellis or pole (to train it off the house?)

Many thanks for your advice.

-k

Comments (11)