SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jm30_gw

Sweetbay Magnolia question

jm30
15 years ago

I planted 2 Sweetbays a couple years ago at the entrance to my driveway, both in full sun. They are about 7 ft tall and 3 trunks each. They haven't grown in height much, although I never expect a lot of growth out of a tree the first 2 years. But my question is about the foliage. Both summers, the initial flush of leaves looks pretty ragged until late in the summer when it puts on some new foliage on some new growth. The color of the leaves is a lighter color of green than I normally associate with a Sweetbay, sometimes a little yellowish. And the some leaves are curled and the edges have been ragged, almost like a pest has been chewing on it. But I have never seen any pest whatsoever on them. Currently, the leaves are just now opening up, and I can already see many of them curled. Could it be no protection from wind while the leaves are tender? I am going to check the soil ph, since I have recently learned that extreme alkaline soil can cause chlorosis. But I can't imagine the soil in this location being that extreme. Maybe they just need a little more time to get established. Anyone got any experience with Sweetbays?

Comments (19)