SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joezz_gw

Intermittent starting problem on Craftman Tractor (99% of the tim

JoeZZ
10 years ago

Intermittent starting problem on Craftman Tractor (99% of the time)

I have a Craftman lawn tractor model number 917.287360, engine model number SV610-0021 (kohler 21 HP)
Tractor wonâÂÂt turn over when try to start 99% of the time.
I have bypassed the safety switches in the seat, brake and blade engager. Replaced solenoid, starter, seat switch, and starter.
When I turn the key to start or just the on position, voltage on battery side of solenoid drops from 14 V to about 1.5 V. The same thing happens on the small positive wire to solenoid when I try to start tractor.
Sometimes, the next day, I get 14 volts on starter side of solenoid (wire to starter disconnected) when I try to start tractor. When I connect the wire from the starter to the solenoid and try to start the tractor, I hear a click and nothing happens. I test voltage on the small wire to solenoid with the key is in the start position and it is back to 1.5 V. The voltage on the battery side of the solenoid also drops to 1.5 V when I just turn the key to the on position. One time the tractor did turn over three times in a row when I tried to start it, but on the fourth time it was dead again with the same symptoms that I just described. Seems when I get 12 volts to the starter something gets grounded and it takes a while to dissipate. I check wires and did not see any problems. One time when I was getting 12 V to the solenoid side of the starter (starter disconnected)(key in the start position), I jiggled all the wires and the voltage stayed at 12 V.
I'm at my wits. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County
More Discussions