SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
btalarczyk

Question about mums

11 years ago

I have, what you all might think, is an easy question. I have a bunch of mums that I planted last september. They did well and I was successful (for the most part) in getting them to over winter and come back this year. I was hoping to get them to bloom nice and full for this fall again but I missed trimming them back in the spring due to an illness. The majority of the mums have now sprouted small flower buds.

So, I guess I have a 2 part question.

1. Is it too late to trim them back?

2. What is the proper process to trim mums to get them to look like the ones you buy in september at the nurseries? I have googled that question and the hundreds of websites that come up seem to offer hundreds of different techniques. I trust you all here alot more than other forums. I guess what I am asking is when is a good time to first trim back? How much should I trim back? When should I do a second pruning? How much should I prune off? Are these even the right questions to be asking?

Again, I apologize for asking what might seem to be rookie questions but I guess I would consider myself a rookie that wants to learn the correct way to take care of plants. Thanks for any advice you can give!

Comments (2)