SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug1_gw

knock out roses doing poorly

ladybug1
15 years ago

Maybe someone can help me with a problem. I hope so!! I bought some knockout roses for my mother last fall. They did very well in the place I had them but Iwanted my mom to be able to enjoy them so I transplanted them and put them in a space we made for a flower garden that slopes down a hill The garden is at the bottom of the hill and is quire rocky. BUT We added tons of topsoil and bagged mushroom compost and put them in last fall. They did okay. This winter I cut them back and and they looked nice this spring when they were coming back. Then, as if overnight, they started looking terrible. I discovered there were dang catapillars eating on them. I sprayed the roses with insecticide and that seemed to help with the catapillar problem. But they just don't seem to be doing any good. I have fertilized them, put epsom salts on then, just like I nornmally do, and watered them well. But they still look sickly. Two that got and planted this year have all but shriveled up and died. The leaves are brownish.

In addition, the other roses that I transplanted last fall were a beautiful fushia color last year. Some of the bulbs look might be okay and then just brown up and die before they bloom and the ones that do bloom, when they do they are barely colored, a very pale, almost white pinkish color.They do get at least 4 hours of direct sunlight a day. Also, we do have a grub problem as well and I wonder if that could be part of the problem. I am grasping for straws here!!

It makes me sick to see them outside the kitchen window looking so pitiful after they did so well before. What am I doing wrong with these? I have never had a problem before with these. Thanks for the ANY and ALL suggestions.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider