SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nastarana

Some rare mid 20thC body bagged roses at Aldi's

nastarana
10 years ago

Today I bought 'Love' for my daughter's yard at the grocery chain Aldi's. Body bags are now $3.99 and beginning to look not as healthy as they did a few weeks ago, when I bought 'Tropicana' and 'Oregold', or Anneliese Rothenberger, to give it it's correct name. My daughter likes the look of 'Fire & Ice' type coloring. So, for $3.99, even if it does not survive the winter, that is no more than customers are being charged for annuals in many nurseries.

Body bags do seem to grow fairly well here. Those that I planted last summer are all growing back except for a 'Blue Moon' not, which turned to be some non descript mauve HT, but NOT 'Blue Moon'. Saved me the trouble of digging it up.

On offer today, I noticed, 'Red Cap', 'John S. Armstrong' and 'Cl. Tropicana'. I don't know if the 'Red Cap' is the Chinese HT offered by Vintage or the floribunda listed on HMF. The floribunda looks quite nice in the HMF pix, and appears to be growing in cold climates. Are any of the above worth attempting to rescue? How big does the Cl. Tropicana' grow?

Aldi does have bigger and better body bags than the other big boxes I have been in, but some canes are now turning black and some are beginning to sprout, so there is no time to loose if anyone wants to try an HT for $3.99. I also saw 'Gypsy', 'Queen Eliz.' and both 'Olympiad' and 'Oklahoma'.

Comments (9)