SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ammo_gw

Pin Oak--Leaves not Green

ammo
14 years ago

Hello, this is the first time i've posted but hopefully somebody can help.

I planted two 2.5 inch Pin Oak trees last September. They were balled and burlaped. I've been awaiting spring to see all my hard work to into a nice green healthy looking tree.

The buds started to swell on one of the trees before the other. When they opened they were a nice bright green color. Two weeks later the leaves are dull and appear to be somewhat brown looking from a distance. Up close the tiny leaves look like they would in fall as there just starting to change color.

Before planting last fall, I got a soil test. The Ph was on the high end but still within an acceptable range for pin oaks. I added some bone meal per the soil test to increase the Phosphorous. I dug the hole 3 times the width of the root ball. I did not plant to deep.

The 2nd tree that is behind the first in leaf progression is still bright green but has not hit the stage where the first tree started to lose its bright green color.

I put alot of work into planting this thing and hate to see it not look like it should.

Whats the problem?

Comments (12)