SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asm198

Am I making a mess of my compost?

This year is my first time purposefully creating compost and I'm not sure if I'm doing it "correctly". I realize that there are lots of different methods and that there's not one right way to do things, but I'd like some advice before I get too far into this.

For years, we never bagged our leaves for pickup and simply mulched them and put them on the side of our home that isn't useful. We did nothing to them, so they've just sat there to decompose. Several years ago, our neighbor gave us an Earth Machine that they had never used and my husband filled it up with leaves. It sat untouched for about 3 years, then I decided to start playing around with it in May.

All I've done with it is water it, add used coffee grounds, and turn it every week or so. I also recently added some cardboard (torn into pieces about 3x3 inches) and about 20 feet of kraft paper (torn into 6x12 inch pieces). I soaked these before adding them to the mix, but I'm wondering if that was the best idea. I haven't added anything else, except the skin of a piece of salmon I cooked, not realizing that you're apparently not supposed to do that.

I believe what I'm doing is called cold composting, but I'm not entirely sure. When I turn the pile, I tend to push everything to one side, so I can add some coffee grounds deeper into the leaves. I have noticed that it's warmer in the middle of the pile, but I don't think it's enough to be consider a hot pile.

I mention all of this because I don't know what greens I can add to the pile. I hesitate to add grass clipping to the mix, as we're battling a significant weed and crabgrass problem, and I don't know if I should be adding any kitchen scraps that could start to grow in the pile.

Am I ok if I just stick with the coffee grounds and occasional cardboard mixed in with the leaves? Things do seem to be breaking down much more rapidly in the past two months than they did in the past 3 years, but is what I'm creating going to be useless?

My plan for this is to use the finished product to help loosen up my heavy clay soil. I'm not in any hurry, but plan to add it to my beds after my plants are finished in the fall (either this fall or next).

Advice would be appreciated!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County