SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

Uggh, did I just make a mistake by planting....

bgaviator
11 years ago

So if any of you are familiar with my quest to cover the back wall at the top of my hill from my post about wanting cascading plants, I took your advice and decided to get something that would climb instead. Well, I have been doing a lot of research and nothing I was coming up with really seemed all that ideal. At first I thought about Clematis, but I wasn't about to pay the prices they wanted at the nursery for it, plus it didn't seem like it would grow fast enough for me.

I then thought about Morning Glory, but started reading too much about how much the seeds can spread everywhere.

So I went to my local nursery which seems to have pretty knowledgeable staff.

The staff member agreed that Morning Glory is too problematic......she seemed kind of neutral about Honeysuckle....said that it's OK for the time it has blooms, but then is just kind of "blah" the rest of the time.

Clematis seemed too slow growing, more maintenance than I wanted to do, and they were extremely expensive for some reason!

She then pointed me towards what she said was one of her favorites....a Variegated Porcelain Vine. She told me it would be well behaved for me, and is more interesting to look at throughout the year.

So I went with her recommendation before doing any of my own research.

Tonight I planted it at the top of the hill, in front of the trellis I made with old sections of a wood ladder I cut into sections.

Then of course, after the fact, I start doing research on this plant, and it seems to have a really bad rep! Seems like lots of people curse this vine!

The top of my hill only really gets good morning sun, and maybe that's why she thought it would do good for me where I planted it?

Did I seriously just make a mistake? Will this darn thing take over my hill, or will it stay well behaved against a trellis? I don't want it to strangle my Ajuga that I am trying to establish everywhere else on the hill. Thanks!

Comments (18)