SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixthave

Tree choices - big, but not too big

sixthave
16 years ago

I could use this group's opinions, as a gardening neophyte... We live in a Brooklyn NY brownstone (i.e., a rowhouse) with a backyard 20' wide x 45' deep. Right now the yard is completely empty, so we have the pleasure of starting from scratch. But torturing myself trying to pick the right 2 trees, b/c so many factors to consider -- space, light, soil, appearance.

We'd like to put a larger tree in the back corner, against a 3-story wall that is at the end of our yard (another house). This location gets at least 5 hrs of sun/day 6 months of the year. Sun is morning to mid-afternoon. Soil is clay throughout. B/c it's against the blank wall, we're hoping for something that has winter interest, and doesn't look really spindly for a long time. Considering: acer griseum or triflorum, halesia carolina, styrax (snowbell), European mountain ash, English hawthorne, various malus. Would love flowers. Vertical shape (b/c of narrow yard) would be a plus. But am concerned that all of these will take 2 decades to get to the height we're hoping for (30'). And we've been advised that anything larger (birch, willow) will overpower the space before long. But it will be VERY frustrating to watch a 6' tree for several years.

Near the house, we're thinking of putting a cornus alternifolia variegata. We love the big dogwood flowers (wolfeyes), which I don't think the alternifolia has. But this location only gets about 1-2 hours of direct sun in mid-afternoon, so we are thinking we need to go with a shadier variety. Ideally in this location, the tree doesn't get much bigger than 15-20'. Overall, we're going for a woodland feel (in the middle of NYC -- go figure!).

BTW, if it's useful info, there are many very large trees throughout our block. One neighbor has 40' high birches (planted 10 years ago), and another has a massive pine of some sort (probably planted ages ago). There are all kinds of other large deciduous trees sprinkled throughout (50'+), which I can't name.

Would really appreciate this groups thoughts on these options, and what growth rates we should expect. When a tree book say's "up to 10 meters", does that mean max size, after 40 years? What's the best compromise between near-term growth and long-term fit? Many thanks in advance.

Comments (13)