SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Tree removal quote

herus
14 years ago

I have a tall poplar in my backyard that has died. It is discolored and fungus is around the area where beavers originally chewed a part of it off, which may be what killed it or it was already dead, so the beavers went to work on it.

I prevented more beavers by 'painting' the area with chili oil; this was about a year ago I'm guessing. At that time I didn't notice it was dead, but frankly I didn't really pay attention.

It is perhaps 80' tall and I can get my arms around it, just enough (I am 5'8" and proportionately built). It is situated such that if it fell towards the house it could cause damage. However, we are on a lake lot and it looks like it should go in that direction... and if the beavers worked on it that would be likely, yes?

Anyway, we may be selling the house. Of course I would disclose it, but I got a service out to give me a quote and it was $600, including haulaway. They would have to haul it uphill for the depth of the entire lot, about 150'.

Does this sound appropriate for the Atlanta area? He is a reputed service with good reviews, says he is fully insured, etc. I know insurance can make a difference to the costing (and I would check it before hiring him), but just asking if this rate sounds right, etc. He says he would not climb the dead tree due to the risk and would suspend it from a neighboring tree, cutting it down bit by bit from the bottom up.

He also seems to think it would fall toward the lake but couldn't say for sure (unless he was just keeping that from me so as to get the business).

Comments (12)