SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Help me get city's approval for a tree removal.

My house was built in a subdivision which was previously a wooded lot. At that time the builder for the development was requested to leave as many trees as possible. Well that was in 1962. So two Sugar Maple trees were left in my backyard when my house was built (plus other trees in my front yard). The backyard is 50 feet wide by 30 feet deep.

So today the diameter of those trees are 21 inches and 24 inches (at chest height). They are about 14 feet from each other. The one that is 21 inches in diameter is six feet from my house. I think that the tree is too close and between the two of them, my yard is full of roots! Pretty much nothing grows to its potential. Nothing! (My husband planted a service berry shrub about 7 years ago. It looks the same today!)

The city has a strict bylaw when it comes to trees. They do not want to approve removal of any healthy tree. I've had an arborist come to my home. He thinks the city will not give me approval to destroy the tree and that I will have to try to appeal. And even then, it may not happen.

I want this tree removed! I will pay for the tree permit and arborist's report (required). If down the road I am successful in getting approval to remove this tree, it is going to cost me $9,000!

When I appeal, and have to face my city councillors, what can I say that will persuade them to agree to the tree removal?

Comments (71)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21