SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timshaw

Can you use too much compost?

16 years ago

Hi all,

I have approximatley 132 sq feet of raised bed area. It is raised about 6 inches and was originally filled with the most recent sq. ft. garden recipe, different types of compost( store bought) peat moss and vermiculite last fall. I had the medium tested by our extension service and all the nutrients were high to very high including P K Ca Ma. The only bad thing I saw was a pH of between 7.2 to 7.6 Since I made the beds I made approx. 4 cubic yards of compost from table scraps, shredded leaves, used coffee grounds (from Starbucks)and alfalfa meal. They cooked pretty good and by early spring I took out some of the original growing medium and tilled in about a cubic yard of the compost. The compost is probably not completly cured since I can still make out some leaf fragments. Since them I have added about 4- 8 inches of compost as a mulch for the veggies. I checked soil moisture day before yesterday and the top 6 or so inches of soil(?) were very dry. Some plants are doing very well and some seem like they arn't growing as vigoriously as my pre organic days not depending on different crops or varieties.

My questions are:

1 can you use too much compost

2a I have some bags of shredded leaves would they hold moisture better than the compost

2b Will the leaves and compost become fine enough by fall to plant seeds

3 Have not had soil tested since I put in my compost since it seems to early to get an accurate reading since the soil food web hasn't had enough time to become established, should I re-test now or wait till fall

I know that it takes a while to build a good soil and have patience but would like to help it along if possible.

Thanks, Tim

Comments (6)