SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jeffcat_gw

Pat Austin/Graham Thomas/WS2000 growth rate?

jeffcat
14 years ago

Being a noob still to the rose gardening experience, I was a bit interested in some of the growth rates of these roses. I purchased them potted and almost all of them are a solid 2-2.5ft tall with WS2000 being the smallest and Pat Austin being the largest(for now). This is their first year in the ground, and they have been in for about 2 weeks now and are all budded up.

I have free access to the Columbus(Whetstone)Park of Roses, where I can typically guage growth rates of most roses, although I went back yesterday and noticed they only have Graham Thomas, and my memory doesn't remember how large he was last year.

I've heard Graham Thomas acts almost like a short/tall climber, Pat Austin is a more shrubby/short climber, and WS2000 has a shorter, wider growth method. Seeing as they are only 2-2.5ft now, new, and I am planning on feeding them on a pretty docile and simple rose tone/dry alfalfa fertilization plan, how tall...or large can I expect these austins to get this year? All of them get ample light contrary to my original thoughts that they might not. WS2000 might get the least light with about 6 hours of it with about an hour or so of it being filtered.

The question made me curious after seeing Z6-7 owners having very tall specimens of Graham Thomas despite the colder zonal climate, which made me wonder if they cut it down to the ground every year or just cut back some of it. I know at the Park of Roses in Columbus, they cut Graham Thomas all the way to the ground every year, like they do with almost all the roses besides the old garden and climbing roses. Thanks!

Comments (11)