SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtbmtb

can i plant understory trees near house?

mtbmtb
16 years ago

i have about 25' of area along the back of my house that faces north and gets morning sun, but is in shade from the house after lunch (zone 7). it was suggested that i plant an understory trees (group of 3?) along with shrubs for landscaping. i was thinking about 2 Forest Pansy Redbud trees on each end and a chaste tree in the middle with Autumn Twist encore azaleas for the shrubs. I went to the local garden center today and a fellow there advised against planting any trees close to the house (they would be about 3' from the house and the eaves are about 11' off the ground in these locations). Should i avoid planting any trees and just go with the shrubs? I also saw pink princess escallonia shrubs which i liked and was thinking about going with them instead of the azaleas. the area to be landscaped is next to the brick wall of the back side of the house. it continues on to my deck (28' x 14') where i have peppermint lace crepe myrtles planted. this landscaping would need to sort of tie into the other. stairs would seperate thr two areas. thanks for any input.

Comments (2)