SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joan_m

Recommend some rugosas

joan_m
16 years ago

Could you please recommend some rugosas? IÂm giving a talk to a local garden club on "Landscaping with Species and Species-hybrid Roses", and I want to include rugosas. I like and grow rugosas, but due to space limitations, IÂve mostly eliminated named varieties and am growing selected seedlings. IÂd like to be able to provide the members with the name of popular rugosas that are commercially available.

IÂd appreciate suggestions of rugosas that would do well in my climate. IÂd like to focus on the near-species types (mostly rugose foliage) rather than the more dilute non-rugose hybrids. Any comments about the plants would be welcome too.

GROWING CONDITIONS:

USDA climate zone 6 (Sunset 2 & 3)

Winters regularly, but not always, get below Zero. Little or no snow cover.

Summers in high 90s-low 100s. Dry, all plants need supplemental irrigation. (Average annual rainfall under 7 inches).

No blackspot (Persian Yellow/Austrian Copper do well here). No rust. Some mildew spring and fall.

Alkaline soil. Soil type ranges from light clay to sandy, sometimes within the same neighborhood.

Many double rugosas (for example Rugosa Magnifica) in this climate give nice spring blooms, but summer blooms are shapeless and muddled looking. Therese Bugnut does fine. Singles and semi-double blooms usually look fine year round.

Comments (18)