SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wendy2shoes

Need some inlaw/help advice..

wendy2shoes
14 years ago

Ok, I know you guys aren't Anne or Abby, but any input would be most appreciated. I have three daughters, all married, and cordial, what I consider to be "normal" relationships with two of the respective mother in laws..(Heck..one lives next door!)

The most recent, however, is driving me batty. She's a very "interesting" woman, artsy, opinionated, ..but she has decided that she and her husband are our new best friends forever.

I'm uncomfortable with this. If we'd really hit it off, like I felt I was meeting someone that could really be a good friend, I would have no problem. But..we're kind of like oil and water.

I like to see them in gatherings which include my daughter and their son, but really have no interest in socializing with them on our own (hubby and me).

This is what's happening however. Constant invites to dinner..and they live 20 miles away..without the kids. I've been given a choice by her..via email, of three days where we can come for dinner over the holidays..the 28th,29th,or 30th. I am supposed to reply with "what day is best". I feel like I'm over a barrel, as she hasn't given a firm date that I can respectfully (and politely decline) due to other whatever.

My daughter and their son won't be coming. They do Christmas with them and that's it.

What do I do? I thought getting older would be easier, i.e. didn't have to deal with people you didn't like.

Do I sound grumpy and mean? Should I just suck it up and go where I know I'm going to have a bad time?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery