SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

Do roses sweat in very sunny weather?

cupshaped_roses
15 years ago

The last month the sun has been blazing down and it has been cloudless and we have gotten no rain (Well a little 20 min thundershower).... We are about to break the historic record of more than 330 hours of sunlight in one month. Of Course I am thrilled since my SAD condition seems like just a fig of my imagination. I deepwater my roses once a week and the last 2 times I showered the rosebushes from above rinsing the dry leaves. Some of the roses' leaves curl up like to protect them from sun ... and relax in the afternoon when the shade comes to that part of garden. But I have noticed something I have never seen on my roses. It seems like the leaves exude a glossy, watery, glistening substance. It looks like the roses sweat! Looks almost like the honey dew substance produces by aphids, but since there are no aphids on these roses this is not it. The roses have not been sprayed either so it is not residue. Have you ever seen this phenomenom? I have noticed that some roses are deveoloping small purple spots, especially those that exude this dew like substance. Do some roses in very sunny conditions sweat? Here are some pictures:

This rose has the substance all over the leaf surfaces:

{{gwi:277146}}

This rose has the substance glistening at the edges of the leaves:

{{gwi:277147}}

Comments (10)