SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topie_gw

'Sunny' Knock Out Rose questions

topie
14 years ago

We planted a "Sunny" Knock Out Rose bush this year, and it's our first time growing a rose bush, so please pardon me if these questions seem very basic.

Almost everything we plant is a U.S. native indigenous to our area, but we couldn't resist the Knock Out (that wonderful scent) and thought it sounded less disease-prone than some other roses. Our normal garden method involves no chemical fertilizers or pesticides, so thought the Knock Out might be a good option for us.

1. Wondering what people's preferred method of rose watering is... do you prefer a soaker hose, or overhead watering/sprinkler system? If you water with a soaker hose, how long do you like to leave the hose on?

As we've done in the past with any newly-planted native shrubs, we've been watering the rose bush with a soaker hose, and it seems to be doing fine, but are just curious what method other people have had good success with. I'm wondering if a cultivated rose like Knock Out needs more water than an regular U.S. native shrub like our Viburnum...

2. We plan to prune the rose bush in the spring, but are not sure how much to prune off. I've heard the "Sunny" Knock Out gets really huge, which is fine with us since our garden has a natural-ish look, but are wondering if hard pruning in the spring may be better for a Knock Out rose as opposed to moderate pruning?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida