SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missmygardens

Flowering Fruit Tree Blooms Changed Color

MissMyGardens
15 years ago

My father has had 2 flowering fruit trees in front yard since 1979. They're kind of overlapped in growth since he doesn't have them pruned properly or at all. What can I say.

One he said was Bradford Pear but they seem to have only white blooms from internet search. This tree has always had pink blooms.

The other tree is a Cherry tree that has always had white blooms and does again this year.

What could possibly cause the color or blooms on the supposed Bradford Pear tree (or any ornamental flowering fruit tree) to change from a pink rose color to near white??

The only thing that's different in the past couple of years is that I've cut off dead branches early in the year which is the time I read is appropriate to clean up these trees.

Any ideas or experience? The masses of pink and white blooms overlapping has always been a magnificent sight to behold.

We're just perplexed as to how/why the bloom color on one changed so visibly?

People have been telling my father for years that they're surprised these trees have lasted so many years but they've been beautiful stalwarts.

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Leslie

Comments (5)