SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Compost thoughts, first rose of the year and rose slugs..

silverkelt
11 years ago

First off, I get free compost, truckloads of it..

Its about 300 shovel fulls of compost to fill my truck (whatever that is in yards, like 20 maybe?) , 300 shovel fulls to offload, 300 shovel fulls to load my wheel barrow to spread) darn its alot of work.

I keep telling myself this has to stop, I have to do like 1/3 of the garden each year instead. But darn, it looks so pretty, it does so much good, it just takes forever to mulch my gardens with it. Its from our waste center, people drop off pine needles, leaf droppings, grass clippings, sawdust, manures and other plant materials, it grows to be a whopping huge pile every year, they then turn it over and over, till next spring.. Compost! its free, its just UHUAL it yourself mode. My front gardens have had 4 inches of manure, 4 inches of compost , then wood chippings, then another 4 inches of compost last year on them. Im doing a lighter layer this year.

I loooove compost, just dont love all the hauling to get it.

{{gwi:260423}}

First rose of the year, some of you know the story of this one, it was found at a old 1800's home, under a huge mock orange, as a couple of sticks left, I took them and its becoming a very healthy 4 foot bush with hundreds and hundres of buds on them.

Double Scots White

{{gwi:269690}}

My Quadra rose was being ATTACKED by rose slugs, I mean hundreds of them. This constant rain is good for weeds and bugs, not so much for plants, Im having a hard time getting out to plant anything or to weed. I lost all the leaves a 1/3 of the way up, I tried hand picking them, got about 50 of them, next day saw just as many, I tried spraying with jets of water.. next day still so tons, I broke down and used a insecticide, its well before bloom season, its not something I typically do, but I wouldve lost quadra. Ive seen rose slugs infestation like this before, if you dont stop it, they start spreading, by the thousands. Ugly green things.

For future refrence what do you guys use to control them if you see them? I usually ignore aphids, mostly they dont do enough damage to worry about that much, but these little green catipiller things (i think its actually sawfly larvae?)

Silverkelt

Comments (5)