SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irishandsquish_gw

Can I save my tree?

irishandsquish
12 years ago

We just bought our house, and it came with trees in the front yard. I have no idea what kind they are, but due to HOA restrictions my money is on some kind of oak or cedar tree. (The only other trees allowed are magnolia trees.) I'm also assuming they were planted around the time the house was built, in 2004.

{{gwi:344559}} {{gwi:344561}}

It's leaning. I'm not sure if it's been leaning for a while...or if the wind lately has caused it, but either way I would like to keep it from falling and not have to get it removed if at all possible.

I've never had trees to take care of before. This is our first house, and we've been in apartments prior to this, so please forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions...I tried searching online, but all I found was the billion different things that it COULD be and recommendations that I call an arborist to come remove it. I was really excited about learning to garden/landscape myself; I just wasn't prepared for something this (potentially?) serious right away...

Can I just stake it and keep it watered? If so, should I re-do the mulching? Should I not stake it and just repack the earth around it and re-do the mulch? Am I overreacting and it should fix itself over time? Or should I suck it up and just call an arborist to come get it and start with a new tree?

Comments (14)