SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calzone_24

Are these roots dead? Can I save my tree?

calzone_24
16 years ago

Okay, here's the deal. I am pretty certain my dwarf Eureka lemon tree has been overwatered. I have tried to rememdy the situation, by repotting in a smaller container (the one it was in was WAY too big for it) with a bunch of perlite mixed in with bagged potting mix. I pruned some of the roots off at the same time (maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of them), since they didn't look very healthy (brown and dry, but not rotting and smelly).

This was about a month/month and a half ago. I still have not seen any new growth, and more and more leaves are dropping. The branches seem to still be alive. A water meter shows the soil to be dry at the top couple of inches, moist for the next couple, and then wet below about 6 inches or so. I realize I'm still not achieving good enough drainage, so today I drilled some more holes in the bottom of the container and am considering the wick system. I checked the roots by digging down through the soil (gently!), and they look the same as they did when I repotted--brown and dry, not like I expect healthy, growing roots to look. Here's a photo:

{{gwi:598574}}

FINALLY, the QUESTION! Are these roots dead? Can I save this tree? If so, how? If more info is needed, just let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Comments (7)