SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2867279

so mad I could spit - are they dead or can I save them?

User
13 years ago

this is clearly what I get for being so excited about my first attempt at a real succulent garden. After ten years of battling the Arizona desert for the life of anything I stick in the ground you'd think I'd have learned my lesson about optimism. . .

Background: a few weeks ago I planted a number of succulents in an area on the east side of my house (I'm in Phoenix). I watered maybe twice in ten days. Everything looked great and then I made two fatal errors:

1. I did not put a chicken wire fence around the plot - assuming that the rabbits and ground squirrels (with which I am plagued) wouldn't like succulents and would leave them alone; and

2. I went on vacation for 10 days and told my husband to water them once - and only more if it got really hot.

So, of course, when I returned, I was greeted with the scorched-earth devastation you can see in my photos at the link. Many stems from the ice plants were nibbled off and just left next to the plants and all the other plants were missing most of their leaves so I know that was due to the vermin.

The stems are, for the most part, completely shriveled and brown.

My husband swears up and down that he only watered them twice during the ten days (it has been windy and warm) but that both times he left the hose on them for around 20 minutes (like I taught him to do with the trees). so they probably drowned.

However, he also says he caught a rabbit in the act of nibbling on one of "the bushy things" in the front (one of the ice plants, I think) and has offered to blast them with his .22.

Yesterday I built a fence around the plot and inspected the plants more thoroughly once I could see straight since my anger had blinded me to the point of insanity.

Of the ice plants and elephant food - there are several green leaves left down at the bottoms of the stems near the ground. The Ghost plant was absolutely decapitated and one of the fleshy crassula-thingys was completely denuded of leaves, leaving only a thick stump.

What should I do now? dig everything out and start all over again (again??!?! perish the thought)? Or does the existence of the leaves mean that there is life and a shred of hope left?

Also, it has been very warm (almost 100 today) and windy. Should I water? I pulled out one of the dead ice plants and the roots were bone dry.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated. And anyone who is interested in a little moving target practice is welcome to come for a visit. I'll even feed you. . . :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: After and Before photos

Comments (6)