SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northerner_on

A feel-good story...and a question

northerner_on
12 years ago

I love anything that looks like a daisy and for several years I planted Shasta Daisies - Alaska, but disliked them because they got too tall and flopped and had to be staked. After trying to get trades of Snow Lady for two years I was prepared to purchase commercial seeds this year, until I saw Aimer's ad. for 'White Knight': it was described as beter than Snow lady because of increased disease resistance and more flowers per stem. So I forked out the $2.95 for the packet, to find a small vacuum packed, plastic lined foil envelope inside. It contained only 9 seeds!! I went ahead and winter sowed them, as I would any perennial and got only 1 seedling!! I was crushed - so disappointed that I would have a empty space again this year, that I went to their website to see if there was any additional information about this plant. Before leaving the site I saw a link called 'Contact Us' and so I did. I told them of my experience, but I did not berate them. I told them I was very disappointed, and expected that such expensive seeds would be viable. I cautioned them to be more vigilant when selecting their seed suppliers. Of course I also confirmed that I was not a 'newbie' with respect to growing perennials from seed. About two weeks later I received a seed envelope with an OSC label on it. I was puzzled because I had no outstanding seed orders, but I opened to find - you guessed it - two packets of White Knight seeds!! There was no note or invoice - just the seeds. So the goodly folk at OSC (Aimer's banner flies under OSC) decided to replace my seeds - and double them. What a lovely gesture!! But now here is my question. For years I had been buying perennial seeds, sowing them as directed on the packet, and getting no germination. Then I met a gentleman who owned a mail-order seed company who told me about perennials needing a freeze period to germinate. Now the directions on these seeds are to sow indoors in March at 15 degrees C and grow on under lights. Should I do this? Will it work? Have they pre-chilled the seed? I wonder why seed companies put out perennial seeds and never tell gardeners about the cold period required. Why do they give these directions that never work? What would you do if you had these two packets of seeds? How would you sow them? These are very precious, and I want to be safe, not sorry. Thanks in advance.

Northerner.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES