SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

New Gardener here! Is this RUST?

12 years ago

Hey all,

New gardener here! Just moved into a new home and now that spring is here I'm getting acquainted with my garden! I have about 5 different types of roses back there that I'd love to learn to care for. (I just posted some pics of the roses in my new backyard if anyone is interested in helping me ID them.)

My father in law did prune them down in November or something but I have no idea how great of a job he did.

I haven't fertilized or put down any mulch yet and would love to hear some recommendations on what to do and when.

So far, the roses have had lovely growth all on their own, which is surprising considering that the garden has been pretty much abandoned for about a year.

I'm seeing this now though, and I'm assuming this is rust? What do I do? Do I pick off the affected foliage? Do I have to start spraying?

As you can see, these particular roses are planted under a grape vine (not sure how great of an idea that was) and have woodland strawberries growing at the base, so I hesitate to spray chemicals.

{{gwi:276214}} {{gwi:276215}}

(affected leaves are on lower right)

Comments (9)