SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonernp

New here - Hay Bale Gardening

SoonerNP
12 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has experience with Hay Bale Gardening? This is my first attempt with gardening since I was a teenager. We live in Edmond in our new home and my husband really didn't want the ground tilled up (hopefully I will convince him next year), so I have read about this and watched videos on YouTube. OSU also has a sheet on how to garden with straw bales (although I am using hay bales that were given to me). My 4year old twins are very excited. We started prepping the bales with 1/2 cup ammonium nitrate per bale and soaking them the last 3 days. I'm making sure they are wet enough, but cannot feel a rise in temperature inside the bale yet. Should I be noticing a difference in tempt yet?

If there is anyone with success or failures with this technique of gardening I would love to hear them. I have heard tomatoes grow very well. We started pepper and tomatoes by seed indoors, but my lighting is insufficient so we may have to buy plants.

Anyway, we have 9 bales that we are experimenting with this year. The kiddos have loved seeing seeds sprout and I can't wait to see there faces when they see veggies growing. I hope that my efforts aren't in vain.

Comments (9)