SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

Please comment on my 'mix's' content.

bigoledude
16 years ago

My son and a friend helped me build 2ft. wide X 8ft. long X 6" deep beds. We then raised the beds onto blocks 2 feet high. The 1" X 6" sides sit 1/4" up off of the bottom plywood. My reasoning for this was drainage and air flow. There are 3 of these planters total.

We prepared the growing "mix" using 5 gallon buckets as our measure. The "mix" went something like this; 2 buckets of large (coarse) vermiculite, 2 buckets peat, and 5 bags of "big store" compost-with-manure type products. Of course, we mixed it very well.

My plants grew very well initially, then the tomatoes started getting purple veins in the leaves. Then, the leaves themselves began to look purplish. Now, the whole entire garden has turned the same yellow color. Tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and eggplants have now all turned the saddest yellow color.

I installed the Handy-Dandiest micro/drip irrigation system ya-ever-saw! It seems impossible for my son's and my grandchildren to walk past the spigot without running it. I didn't think it would be possible to over-water since it drains so quickly. It would be nearly impossible for the roots to be sitting in a standing level of water. Could the dreadful yellow leaves be a result of too much water, even if the bottom of the planter has a 1/4 inch gap around the entire circumference?

There is a possibility that a terrible fertilizer mishap occurred. But, I've been told that the purple color usually indicates over-watering.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!