SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielahi

Newbie: problem with boulders, Q about building soil

danielahi
14 years ago

Aloha,

I am brand new to gardening, but I have begun an ambitious organic vegetable garden project this summer. Originally, we were going to use our existing soil (sort of rocky, volcanic soil- we live in Hawai'i) and mix in our own compost. The problem is, the site that I have is filled with large, beachball size boulders right beneath the surface. DH and I have been pickaxing a few of the smaller ones out, but at this rate, just removing them all is going to take months.

I recently went to a composting workshop with a couple that uses a composting method to build their own soil. They layer mulch, kitchen waste, manure, rock powder, green sand, EM (some kind of living microbe), and comfrey, right where they plan on planting, and turn it every few months. In a year they have amazing, rich soil. I'm thinking of using this method instead, because it would be less physical labor, although it might take longer to actually plant.

However, I also read, somewhere else in this forum, that integrating your own soil is key, and must be done in order to optimize your compost. My question is, which method should I use? I am worried that if I build my own soil, I will miss a component, or that it won't be thick enough for the roots. I don't know anything about raised beds, either. Any info anyone has that might help would be much appreciated. Thanks, and I'm excited to start!

Daniela

Comments (3)