SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

American Beauty rose?

jacqueline9CA
13 years ago

I took an unknown rose from my garden to the Celebration today. One person thought it was a hybrid perpetual, and another person thought it might be the HP American Beauty. I looked AB up on HMF, and the internet, and found some pictures that looked exactly like my rose, and some that looked really different. The different ones (as well as some descriptions) were of a very double rose - about 50 petals. Mine only has about 20 petals -I just tore several blossoms apart. In my 20 + years of growing it, I have never seen a very very double blossom. The color (carmine pink, moving from an almost dark raspberry bud to a much paler open flower) and leaves (almost round, light green & shiny) were just like some of the pictures. Other pictures (the very double kind) seemed to be much redder, with more yellow and less blue in the color, and more elongated leaves.

So, my question is - is this one of those old famous roses that might have more than one type in commerce? Do any of you know anyone who knows about this rose? It was growing in 5 very separated places in our garden when we moved in. I figure it was planted 65-80 years ago. It blooms all summer, which I didn't realized until the tree one plant was growing under was taken out. In shade, it only blooms once. It tip roots madly in full sun. It makes a bush about 5-6 feet tall, but it is floppy, and in shade against a fence or wall will climb up to 8-9 feet. It is very fragrant (at least to me). Thanks for your help -

Jackie

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz