SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelg_gw

Root structure of different kinds

michaelg
17 years ago

Books always say roses are deep rooted, but it ain't necessarily so. Species are variously adapted to swamps, thin soils in rainy mountains, temperate forest edges, and semi-arid prairies. These all must have different root structures appropriate to their habitat. Hybrids must have a variety of root structures. How consistent is it within classes?

I would be interested to hear the observations of those who have dug a lot of own-roots. What differences have you noticed?

Laxa rootstock used in Europe is said to be deep-rooted, but I've never seen it. Dr. Huey seems fairly deep-rooted, with a central bole that gets thick over time and goes down a ways. The lateral fleshy roots seem to want to go 8 or 10" deep. Fortuniana is shallow-rooted. I dug one once in Florida that had long fleshy roots way out in the yard. Manettii is also shallow. When I dug a bunch of them in a park a few years ago, most of the roots were just 4-6" under the surface. This was surprising because the beds were ridged up and well drained, and the HT roses had gone ten years or more without irrigation. We do have a month of drought most summers.

Others may have different impressions of rootstocks and wider experience, since I've dug mostly Dr. Huey.

When I dug an own-root Distant Drums a while back, I was surprised to see the fleshy roots going straight down.

Comments (10)