SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruggs183

Tractor start problem, stumped. Please help

ruggs183
13 years ago

Hi,

Background: Poulan Pro HD1842, Briggs and Stratton 31D707 engine

I shut off the tractor and went to try to start it 5 minutes later and now it wont start, it cranks but does not start up. No signs of any problems before hand.

I cleaned out the air filter and sucked up any dirt/debree around the filter. I also cleaned the carb by taking it off from the engine, not totally disassembling it but just spraying carb cleaner all over and taking the bowl off and cleaning it.

I also checked for spark and it seemed weak so got a new spark plug. It still doesn't start, just cranks but won't turn over and sputter at least. I disconnected the wire to the armature magneto to see if it was the safety but it still didnt start.

I cleaned the armature magneto due to it looking dirty and I saw a spark increase I believe, this time it was more towards the evening and more shade around then previous other times. Still won't turn over.

Throughout the different steps I have tried spraying carb cleaner and the spray starter to get the engine cranking but nothing. Which leads me to it still being a spark problem?

Does this still sound like a spark problem? or a fuel problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (24)

Sponsored