SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rshort_gw

GT5000 Briggs Engine w/ power loss problem

rshort
14 years ago

Hi ,

I have a 2004 GT5000 Craftsman lawn tractor with the Briggs 446777 engine. Ive recently notice a major power loss. It has always run pretty good for the pass for 4 yrs until now, after reading all the online posts on this engine with the filter design flaw, I'm lucky it went this long. I noticed this year when I changed the plugs that the left side cylinderÂs plug was black with a lot of carbon build up, but the right sides cylinder plug was normal with very little carbon build up. After noticing this problem I started the engine with the left side plug wire pulled off so I was only running on the right side cylinder and there was no change to the engine speed that IÂve seen for the past month. However, when I pulled the right side cylinder plug wire and run off the left side cylinder, the engine would only idle and when given more gas it would die. So, I know there is something definitely going on with the left side of the engine. I checked for a good spark and itÂs there. After reading all the online posts on this engine IÂm almost certain I have the same problem with dust getting into the carburetor since IÂm always mowing dusty flat pastures. I clean the air filter every time I mow, but that obviously is not going to do much it sounds like with the design flaw of this engine.

My question is this, this engine appears to not be burning any oil yet since it always stays full and there is no engine knocking yet either =). So do you think IÂm just fighting a dirty carburetor here where gas is being restricted to the left side cylinder somehow or does the left side cylinder have compression loss due to worn rings or something. I donÂt have a way to check for compression loss, but the plug appears to be dry on the bad side when I pull it out after running it. Can someone give me a little direction with this problem on how to possibly resolve it in order to maybe save this $900+ engine =) I would like to get it It is fixed! then I will address modifying the air filter design somehow, now that I know about it. I hope IÂve caught this in time to save the engine =)

Also, if anyone has a good fix for the air filter cavity, I would like to know about that too if possible =)

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Comments (12)

Sponsored