SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bamasfg

What kind of tree should I buy?

bamasfg
14 years ago

Let me start off by saying I am a total tree newbie. Not even a newbie because I haven't started yet; what is greener than a newbie? Hmm.

Anyway, back to my question:

My husband has been talking about wanting to plant a tree in our front yard, which gets full sun. Our 3 year anniversary is coming up, so I was thinking it would be cool if I could give him a tree as a gift; and if it were a 3 year old tree that would be so romantic (go ahead, roll your eyes).

He has been talking about Dogwoods, but if I recall correctly, those need a bit of shade to thrive, and if they live a long healthy life, can become quite large.

He likes Japanese Maple, but our next door neighbor has one in the front yard (does that even matter?)

He has also expressed interest in fruit trees, but I think he wants something 'prettier' in the front yard.

So my questions are:

1 - Do you have any suggestions for a tree that will thrive in a full-sun medium-sized space?

2 - Is it reasonable to think that I can find a 3yo tree? (I don't even know how big that would be...)

3 - Any suggestions on where to buy, either online or brick & mortar? I've checked Spring Hill nursery online and Home Depot, and didn't find anything that jumped out at me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (14)