SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericloj

Need Advice on purchasing a riding mower

ericloj
14 years ago

I need some advice on purchasing a new-to-me riding mower. My old John Deere Model 68 needs parts that are no longer available. A brand new riding mower would be nice but I'd rather get a better built used rider because they don't make them anymore like they used to. My budget is $650-$900. I have a 1/2 acre yard with culverts in the front, I cut those with the walk behind because I like to keep the tire side down. A few trees here and there but anything newer will have a better turning radius than that old 68. The yard is pretty much level with a soft roll in places but nothing greater than a 15 degree slope. I'd like to get something that is about 10 years old at the oldest. I'm going to do a local search on ebay, craigslist, call around and ask the local mower dealers what they have used for sale.

Do any of you have any mower brand/model recommendations that fit into my budget and are ideal for my yard? Any to stay away from? What sort of things should I look at on the unit? I cut once a week or so. Ideally I'd like to get at least 4-5 seasons out of it. I'm a handy guy and as long as parts are available I can fix it. I'm meticulous with maintence and regularly grease my fittings and change the oil on the 68. I'm aware that belts/spindles/new tires may be things that the new-to-me mower will need during its life with me.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
More Discussions