SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stone_garden

Cheap oldies but goodies at local Walmart today

stone_garden
16 years ago

I remember a post from last year about someone finding a nice red/white disease free striped rose at Walmart last year, and last summer I picked up a couple of J&P almost killed $3 rejects which rewarded me (Lemon Zest and Grand Prize, on year 2 now!)

I am going to SP a faltering body bag Mr. Lincoln, and I am fed up with my awkwardly growing, 1 cane Valencia (also body bag). (I saw a whole bed of Valencia at the Portland OR test gardens and it was smallish and awkward there too)

So Walmart today had $8 in pot and budding hybrid teas and floribundas - I guess these are cheap potted up bare roots. You can see where the main canes had been hack-pruned at some point - by machinery? Nevertheless, the bushes are quite clean and growing vigorously, and look as good as any I've paid $25 for at a nursery, so I picked up a new Mr. Lincoln, a Tiffany, and I am going to try Chicago Peace for the first time. Others I saw: Pascali, Arizona, Oregold, Heirloom, Peace and others I can't remember. So if you live in VA/DC/MD you might want to check it out if you are in the market for a classic - these look fresh off the truck!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH