SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Just ordered R. Roxburghii and Bleu Magenta from RVR

aliska12000
14 years ago

Whew! The postage is more than the roses. If I hadn't been waiting so long for Roxy to become available, I wouldn't have bothered.

I haven't posted in a long time, busy with other things and a tough winter on me.

So far I've battled aphids, got the hoses dragged out and blasted most of them off or picked them off. Pruned a lot of winter kill canes, but most sprang right back even though they died to the ground. So it begins. Jap beetle season will be the deal breaker on some. I'm not going through that again, will prune back, cut off buds and cover with netting.

If that doesn't work, I'm only planning to keep a few. The once bloomers are not much of a problem and require little or no care.

When they bloom, I'm going to try once again to see if I can get an id on the ones I rooted.

Hope everybody is ok.

Comments (19)

• lucretia1
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

aliska,

I'd be interested in knowing if you get R. Roxburghii. I ordered it in December to be shipped in February--still waiting for it (although I've been charged for it.) I was told it needed to "grow some more."

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lucretia,

Yes, I'd be interested myself. I'll keep you posted on this thread. I did read the other RVR thread about Barden roses but didn't know if there was any other source. I got my 4 just B4 the one vendor closed down. Saw the delay so was forewarned.

Anyway, I am a little concerned about that. I've checked off and on all winter and early spring and never saw where it was available at all, always out of stock in any size.

Now guess what? It says out of stock again. Since I paid w/Paypal, I got a batch receipt from them, but I think I got BM in 1 gal and so that means Roxy was 5.

Please post back here if you get yours. I'm in no hurry, but I will need a response if it is too long here. Checked my email because I have yet to get a receipt from RVR, uh oh, payment refund from Paypal, open it, fearing they cancelled the order. It was $6 and not the total so I don't know. There was $5 off today on 5 gal, and they threw in some handling fees on both.

For the longest time they didn't have a photo. I hope it blooms true to the one they finally got up. It is possible that they get certain ones from private people or other vendors, and there aren't many for Roxy and what there are, some aren't as pretty as others and some are even single!

Very curious. We shall find out, won't we?

Here is a link that might be useful: Now R. Roxburghii is out of stock again

• Related Discussions

How many roses have you ordered for Spring delivery?

Q

Comments (52)
    On the Rooter Pots: Susan4952 -- no, these rooter pots are not for "bands." Basically, it's just a way to make a new plant of fairly good size quickly from a plant that you already have a full grown specimen of. It would not work on a small limb or a "band" size plant. A 3/8 inch cane is probably the minimum diameter you would want to work with. You can use up to about a 5/8 inch cane. Seil and TNY78 -- you DO make a cut in the cambium layer all the way around the cane that passes through the rooter pot -- yes, all the way around -- and you DO remove the cambium layer, down to the white wood for a length of about 1/2 inch. I know that sounds like it is girdling the plant and would kill the top part, but it doesn't do that in practice. I've tried it both ways -- part girdling and full girdling, and the full girdling method works best. And I do put a thick gel-type rooting hormone on the cut part. And then it just takes considerable patience for it to do its thing, while you are making weekly inspections to make sure there is still water in the reservoir. I use a turkey baster to refill the reservoir. And as you can see in my picture in the prior post, I use 3 bamboo stakes around each rooter pot to keep it from sliding down the stem it is on, and to keep that cane from falling over from the weight of the rooter pot. The advantage of a rooter pot over starting a cutting is that you get a larger than band size plant the first season, because you are using a bigger stem to start with than a band would be started with. Kathy
    ...See More

I'm just getting started with Roses, would love your advice!

Q

Comments (5)
    "predfern" offered some very good advice. I was going to type something along the same lines. (great minds think alike?) I read an article the other day that I think you might be interested in. They have some further recommendations for roses hardy in your zone (and some even colder!). The skinny of it is that these roses are distantly descended from the species roses from the North American prairies as opposed to the Tea roses from China. You might also want to check the local extension office associated with the university and see what roses they think would do well. Best of luck! We'd love to see the fruit of your labors. :D Here is a link that might be useful: HMF - Canadian Roses, Eh? This post was edited by intris on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 17:51
    ...See More

Does anyone grow ramblers?

Q

Comments (35)
    I have only one, 'Chevy Chase'. When I moved to the South, I planted it in honor of the hometown I'd just been obliged to abandon (and the birthplace of this rambler), Chevy Chase, MD. It's happy here growing along its split rail fence -- and I'm always delighted when it begins its long period of cherry red bloom each spring. I purchased mine from Roses Unlimited back in the late 90's. They no longer offer it. I think I got the very last one they had in stock. Here is a link that might be useful: 'Chevy Chase'
    ...See More

My Mystery Rose from RVR is finally blooming!

Q

Comments (55)
    Lisa, mine is definitely not true red either. It does remind me of your photos a lot. I can take some upclose photos of the foliage for you tonight if it would be helpful. I do believe they are very heavily mossed. Last year was the first year it bloomed and I was bombarded with work and missed a lot of the blooming but I did snap that photo of it. Right as it bloomed I decided to tie the canes to the arbor you see because it was just draped along the ground. I do vaguely remember them fading to a bit of a purple, though I don't have a photo of it. I think it will look much nicer this year. I do remember it blooming in clusters a bit. I will make sure to take photos of it this year. It's a wonderful rose, if yours is HM you will continue to enjoy it!
    ...See More
  • sherryocala
    14 years ago

I got mine from Rose Petals Nursery in Newberry, FL.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Chestnut Rose in stock

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, sherryocala, I never found that grower. It sure is a lot cheaper, but no regrets about that if I end up with what I hope for. Sometimes I do go for the best deal but not with my plants, but I don't figure the most expensive ones will necessarily be any better. They didn't have a good photo, but the description fit well. I bookmarked it just in case RVR doesn't come through, but I won't cancel my order.

All the growers are in more temperate climates, FL, TX, OR, so the ones I have don't do so well even if I watch for zone, got several from ARE. Maybe they will adapt to our winters better in time. Sometimes they push the zones as it is. That is subject for another time.

It's a gamble I'm willing to take, and if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, one less something else I can have with what I spent.

If yours takes off, I'd love it if you could post a couple photos. I first saw it here last year when somebody came back from France with some photos of it; we had quite a discussion at the time.

I found the thread. What an odd day. Gardenweb search found it but says it doesn't exist when I clicked on the link. So I tried google and found it, it's all still up including photos. The French one is not exactly identical to the photo at RVR and some others I found, but roses are like that; I know it is the same rose. Maybe you would like that thread if the link I'm posting works.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please, help ID this French beauty

• patriciae_gw
    14 years ago

I will be interested to see if this rose is hardy for you. I know that Botanica lists it to zone 4 but I have always heard that it is tender and I have had no luck keeping it alive in zone 7. My latest certainly froze to the ground this past winter with a low of 5 degrees and over 2 feet of snow cover. I got this last one from Chamblees. They list it to zone 6. It is the R. roxburghii normalis that is the single by the way so you ought to be getting the double form. Let us know....

patricia

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

patriciae, yes, one wonders always about their hardiness in the northern zones. This past winter wasn't the worst ever, but worse than many years previously. The snow cover is some help, but all it takes is a melt and a few nights below zero. This one I'd better protect. I won't know until I get it in the ground and get through another winter.

Where I'm probably going to have to put it, it won't matter if it doesn't get too large, but I don't want it scrawny either. They look great in the photos growing in their ideal conditions, different story when I plant them, and it takes about 3 years to even get to much of anything as to good blooms. It's always a gamble with me.

I've sure had my disappointments. My rhodie Nova Zembla is supposed to be very hardy, was expensive for two, and both look terrible. I pushed the zone on some beautiful naked ladies, can't think of the right name, the kind w/purples, pinks and tipped in sky blue, looked it up lycoris squagimera. Lush foliage last spring, died back as it is supposed to do, nothing at bloom time later. Only 3 came back of 5 and aren't as healthy looking. I should have mulched them heavily last winter but didn't, and now I will pay. I'll feed them and try to mulch or order some more, there are certain plants you just want so badly in your garden.

Really, of all my struggles, only a few things are really paying off but the ones that are doing super well like my C. Mrs. Julia Correzon? (red) has gone absolutely nuts but the poor little White Dawn climber I wanted to pair it with is sulking, is never going to amount to anything no matter what I do. I gave Mrs. J. ?? a nice trellis, and she's over the top already, can't substitute a taller one this year. Funny how it works. I will fuss a little but can't possibly fuss over all of it.

Sorry about my bad habit of making things too long, I haven't talked gardening in ages. Others evidently don't see things as badly as I do, but I know what they are supposed to be doing and aren't. I'm sure others can relate.

At my age, I'm worried about the unusual roses I have rooted, fear if something happens to me, they will be shovel pruned because people want other stuff. So when I can get to it, I'd love to spread them around which will take more effort. Nothing lasts forever. One rose I propagated, it's going gangbusters, the parent plant has disappeared now, another one has almost gone and I'll be lucky if my two I got from that will live.

• patriciae_gw
    14 years ago

Gardening in zone 5 must be a real challange. I am a good solid 7 but am I content with the wonderful variety of great stuff I can grow...of course not. I have to try and grow Teas-and they dont naturally. I have seen R. roxburghii in person a couple of times and it is really a wonderful bush. I think I need a rock wall to grow it next to although I have sworn that if it doesnt come back from the root I am done with it...sigh..

patricia

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucretia, I hesitated posting yesterday because I don't want to be in your face about any of this, but I did get a notice that both I ordered will ship May 19. I was going to wait to update if and when I actually got them and post a couple photos. So you might want to check on your order that it didn't fall through the cracks. I would have preferred a 1 gal, had to take the 5 or nothing, so maybe you ordered a different size that would affect shipment for your order. I've never actually seen one.

Patriciae, it is a challenge in z5a especially when you haven't done much. Add to the mix, I'm on information overload because of so many of the finer points I've read here plus working hard on my photography and too many other things. I'm struggling where to site mine (Roxy) because I'm running out of room. I'm considering against a brick porch stoop which doesn't get morning sun but must really cook when the sun does hit it starting about noon (and it's already gotten hot enough from morning sun on the other side). They say this rose will perform in "difficult" situations. By that I presume shade, poor soil, dry, or all three. Anyway, the spot I have in mind I've fed the birds for years and may be polluted with sunflower hull residue. So I've got to deal with that if I put it there. It will throw everything out of whack if I choose a more prominent spot in the yard (make it look too cluttery or out of place). I guess I'll have to pay someone on this one to scrape out much of the soil when they're digging such a big hole and replace it with better topsoil and mix in a little compost in the bottom to try to give it a good start. So I'm a little worried about that on top of everything else.

Also I'm worried about Bleu. I want to replace a Graham Thomas with it by a trellis I made. But there is a clematis there that has just taken off well, and I don't want to disturb the roots of that. There are 3 other spots I could put that, but there are problems with all of them one way or another.

I think some of my problems apart from winter dieback are that I have so many trees, roots are in the way, larger surface roots on at least two, which I hate to chop too much out and risk further damage to the tree and also it's harder to dig with roots, may crowd the rose anyway when they try to regrow. Then the plant must compete with the tree(s) for nourishment, so I need to get some tree food and feed the roses better so maybe some will quit languishing.

Sometimes I envy you people further south who can grow more things than I can, and your photos compared to my puny, scraggly bushes, but then you have to take the peskies to go along with it. But the summer heat gets worse and ours is plenty bad so that's why I wouldn't want to move further south and don't like to overdepend on air conditioning which could be a huge problem in the future with energy policies and disruptions. We've plenty of summer heat, too. I have decided that rose ailments are worse when they have to struggle in less than ideal light.

You can grow hybrid teas successfully here, many do very well, but I quit because I want own root. You have to really protect those well for the winter but don't have to dig, tip and cover like they do in MN.

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

I ordered a different size (a band) so maybe that's the problem. Or, as you say, it might have fallen through the cracks. I'll have to check with them to see what's going on. We're getting into the dry season now anyway, so we're past the optimum time to plant roses, IMO, until the fall. If it takes until then it might actually work out better.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There was some kind of problem with the inventory counter, and they didn't have Roxy in 5 gal after all or any size. I got two Alberic Barbier instead which I had picked out the night before without even thinking I wasn't going to get Roxy. Of course, I'm disappointed, but she said they do have the bush and might propagate some over the summer. I sure hope they will come through on that as the other place had no photo, and not all I've seen on the web look the same at all. Even RVR's isn't an exact clone of the one posted seen in France last year, but is beautiful and has the chestnut burrs.

I asked them to put me on a waiting list, and would be happy to have bands in the fall. I can choose whether to plant outside enough B4 a hard freeze or overwinter in my sunroom which has worked well on my other roses. Then harden off in the spring, get a good start to have a full growing season in the ground.

I'm gabbing on another thread about some of this, but I posted a photo of my plants that arrived today from RVR. I'm happy with them, well packed, and look like they're in very good condition, good enough for me anyway. I'm waiting for advice, and it's getting hot to plant. Even recycled the boxes already because they were just the right size for a weedy area which I'll have to very very very carefully deal with later with Roundup, am waiting for a row of tulips to die back completely first.

So I would suggest you contact them again and ask to be put on the waiting list. You'd think a lot of people would want that one. I now want to have an extra for insurance, if possible. Plus that one I'd love to give as a gift and have been waiting for something special to put on my one cat's grave. That would be perfect. Others would do, yes, but Roxy is special to me now and so was my cat.

Here is a link that might be useful: My two bands of Alberic Barbier and one Bleu Magenta

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Chestnut rose won't be hardy in USDA 5. Not even hardy in this part of USDA 8. Have seen long-established Rosa roxburghii hirtula go back more than once in this area. One I have been growing on Camano Island got quite damaged this past winter, after some years in place. Occupant of site said he saw maybe 16F there. Judging from damage to other plants, probably got quite a bit lower at some point.

In western WA USDA 7 is primarily in the mountains. Most people do not live and garden that far out. 0-10F is the average annual minimum temperature for that zone, not the minimum temperature.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh dear, no! It says zone 5 at RVR, but I know how that goes. Naturally no one grows these (to me) exotic and more obscure ones around here.

I can't push zones on many, and it either will die back to the ground or covering and gets pretty big. How disappointing if I can never grow it here.

Most winters for many years have seldom been below zero, but this winter was a bad one, went past 10 below for a few days. All my roses that I made no effort to protect survived, but some died back to the ground, and others are struggling.

HMF says USDA zone 6b through 9b. What a terrible disappointment.

I'm going to have to rethink that one now. I'm not about to move further south, am not a snowbird type nor a Florida retirement kind of person. I'm retired but am pretty glued to this area, my family even if they leave, my home, and all the plants I've established, would be a nightmare to try to move them, don't think I could handle it.

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

I got an update--my band is still growing. Maybe I should try it in a big pot so I can bring it in if the weather is too cold.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lucretia, glad you are making contact and progress. I'm really not expert enough to advise you, but it will never be as showy in a pot and much harder to manage as at its best, it looks very large. RVR says 6 to 8 feet, and probably gets about as wide at maturity. I'd get some expert advice from someone in your zone.

Wintering over a band and hardening off in the spring in a pot is one thing, but I'd rather have it outside and not grow it permanently in a pot, no way. I'm not familiar with your zone but know it's a darn sight better than mine for Roxy. But since you've waited so patiently and are only going to have one shot at it now, I think I'd be extra careful with it, more than some bands that are easier to replace. Usually I buy two for insurance anyway.

I might try one anyway just for the heck of it even though it may not have much of a chance. Better to try and fail than not try at all with a few select ones.

I'm still thinking and not about to give up. I do have a couple sheltered spots and might figure out something.

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Aliska, since you don't want to move to Florida, how about moving Florida to you? Do you have room for a greenhouse where you could winter your zone-pushers under glass? Even a small one?

Sherry

• lucretia1
    14 years ago

Aliska,

If you're still looking for one, I saw them available at Countryside Roses. I ordered from them for the first time this year, and I couldn't be more pleased. Their plants are a little bigger than a band and have really taken off. If they had more gallicas, damasks, and albas, they'd become my main rose supplier. I certainly will be buying from them again.

I've been toying with the idea of treating mine as a bonsai--I think it would be beautiful, and it would be something that could be carried in and out. Or I might just find a warm spot for it. I change my mind every five minutes!

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherry, I took a break and wasted time on other things today and got to wondering if anybody had tired of my Roxy thread. Either you or I must be on the same wavelength (I'm so sleepy I wrote wavelink heh). Just before I checked in B4 calling it a night, I think, I don't know why I couldn't build a little playhouse-style greenhouse for it lol. Figure out a way to vent and heat it. I was going to suggest a little hoop house/heavy plastic (3/8" rebar) for lucretia for temporary use outside, not permanent. I just might do that! How? I don't know. I'll figure something out.

lucretia, I checked there & b'marked it. What is she talking about? I don't see it. Maybe it's under Chestnut. There it is. It's not as pretty as RVR's, but photos are deceptive. So are roses, bloom changes sometimes because of the winter was or wasn't. Thank you. I might take a chance on that one. Somebody gave me another link which I kind of dissed because no photo. So I'll check back on that and see if I can find out what theirs looks like.

Some interesting options with pvc pipe come to mind. PVC pipe and duct tape are my friends.

I change my mind every 5 minutes, too lol. I never thought I'd be planting things then digging them up because I want something different there.

When we move on to other things, pls email me thru here and let me know how your band is doing when you get it.

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Aliska, here's my Chestnut Rose (R. Roxb) that I got in December from Rose Petals Nursery (that you mentioned above.)
    {{gwi:268460}}
    I put it in a pot because I had no earthly idea where to put it (I'm full.) But while reading your thread, I figured out a place. It won't be until fall because I have to remove the last of my grass. I have read that it takes 3 years for this rose to bloom, but I don't have firsthand confirmation of that. I fell in love with this rose a year ago at a rose society picnic. The hosts had it in there garden. So when I saw that Linda had it just a few miles away, I had to buy it. It is a perfectly healthy plant - no BS - and has cute little leaves and peely bark. Here's some photos I took at the picnic last year. (I'm guessing that Linda got her cuttings from this plant.)
    {{gwi:268461}}
    The sepals are covered with "burrs". One of its oddities.
    {{gwi:268463}}

{{gwi:268464}}

I'm wondering if the 3 years starts at propagation or at planting in the ground. Ah, anticipation!

Sherry

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sherry, I really appreciate your posting your beautiful photos. I'd prefer the burrs like you have. A pot like that may not be such a bad idea after all in the early years or indefinitely only I'd have to have help moving it.

While your rose is truly beautiful, there is something about RVR's. But there again I may be setting myself up for disappointment and a possible deception of one particular bloom out of hundreds on a bush. In any case, I have 3 other new ones here to coddle, so why not be patient and wait to see if RVR comes through for me by fall? If not, I'll try one of the other growers.

I'm about done with adding new roses after that. Any further new ones will be replacements for ones that aren't working well. Perennials are so much easier.

Three years? I may not be here in three years, but I will continue on like I will be forever. I get enough instant gratification on some, disappointment in others. It's the way of things for all of us, some more than others.