SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitimpinai

Going Green - what do you do? :-)

pitimpinai
16 years ago

I know that there's a forum on the GW on this topic, but I would like to know if any of my fellows WSers is interested in this?

I have been using fluorescent bulbs, composting, bringing my own shopping bags* to grocery stores, recycling paper and plastic, planting, using manure in my garden, trying to reduce my use of plastic bags, using grocery bags to line our kitchen garbage can (we use a 4 gallon wall sealant bucket as our kitchen garbage), taking public transportation to work,using rags for cleaning more often than paper towels, refilling water bottle with tap water. I have not bought water bottled for a while now.

* We eat a lot of rice. Rice bags are made of tarp-like plastic materials. Years ago, I sowed the bottom to make them look like the bottom of a paper bag, folded down the rim and stitched it, attached two canvas handles. I ended up with very nice sturdy shopping bags.

However, watching an Oprah show made me realize that there are many more things I can do. So I went and bought some "green" cleaning products and SIGG bottles yesterday.

I will start bring my own bags for produce too and reuse produce bags that I have collected. I was wondering myself how to avoid bringing home so many produce bags. Oprah gave me an excellent idea. I already have several bags that I made from voile to cover my peaches on the trees. I 'll take them to the store from now on. Gotta go take them out from the storage bin in the garage and wash them first, though. lol.

And here's my pride and joy. We got it in July. :-) This is our very first brand new car. I consider it our 30th anniversary present. lol. We don't drive it much, just for running errands here and there. My DH will hit the roof it I use it to haul manure. lol.

{{gwi:332066}}

What else do you folks to besides using recycled containers? I will promptly steal your ideas. :-)

Comments (10)

Sponsored