SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Lost newly planted trees?

dakota01
10 years ago

I had my new landscaping put in last June. Since it was a pretty miserable and hot summer (zone 5-NWPA) I was sure to keep my new grass, shrubs and trees well watered.

Everything looked great - until Feb. All winter, my new 6 foot holly trees looked fine, nice and green with pretty red berries - then BAM - both holly trees leaves started to turn dark brown, then within a month or so all the leaves have fallen off. I see no growth or shoots coming.

My new large 7 foot Japanese Maple (could be Bene Kawa or Sanga Kamu) beautiful green leaves, turn yellow orange in fall, and beautiful red bark in the winter. was looking fine - looked at it the other day and what could have been new spring leaf shoots are now dried up. We did get a bad cold snap which could have zapped the tender leave buds - will it send out new buds? All of the established trees in my neighborhood are blooming - so I would think my JM should be doing the same - woudlnt' the established trees have gotten zapped too?

My small weeping JM didn't look very good when the landscaper put it in, but, I did wanter in hopes it would take - well, it's dead too!

I wonder just what went wrong with my new landscape?

I am not a newbie at trees/shrubs, I planted most of the landscape at my last house and NEVER lost anything! My new home is in a fairly windy area and this winter was very bad in PA could it have been the weather? Isn't it odd that I would lose 2 Holly trees?

Could it be how they were planted? I watched as the planted and it certainly was not the manner that my dad taught me! I wanted to mention it to the landscapers but they are professsionals so I figured they know more than little ol me....

The company is replacing the lost trees - but, that' not the point - I don't want it to happen again....

Comments (12)