SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

Question about training a New Dawn climbers...w/pics!

subk3
12 years ago

I followed the instructions from an Ashdown Roses "how to" video on YouTube a few months ago with a New Dawn I planted a year ago by weaving the main canes back and forth across the trellis. I love the results!

In February:

{{gwi:274113}}

Show more

In May:

{{gwi:274115}}

Show more

Now what do I do with the big new canes that are growing? (On the left hand rose you can see one on the top left and coming out the right side halfway up.) Plaster them on top of the blooming growth? Considering that I already have good flowering at the bottom do I let them go vertical and weave them at the top third of the trellis, or do I need to save that space for the future growth of the canes I've already woven? Send them on up to the roof? Do I try to train them now, wait until after the flush or wait until it's winter and they go dormant again?

I want the roses to eventually go up and over the three stoop roofs, but I really have no idea how long it should take to grow that far. The pictures are of roses I bought in a gallon last May, and it is on its own root. Anybody have any guesses on how fast it will grow?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm