SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry76034

Saving Root Bound Tree

Jerry76034
12 years ago

I have several swamp white oak trees in Dallas that were container grown (65 gal, 4" dia) for several years (height approximately 15') before being transplanted into a clay dominant soil three years ago. The trees manage a fairly healthy crop of leaves each year but have not had any new branch growth. I am assuming that the roots are severely root bound due to being grown in a container for so long and were not properly prepared prior to being transplanted. I am assuming worst case scenario by the people who transplanted the trees meaning they did not attempt to break out the roots, left the wire basket in place, dug the hole only wide enough for the root ball, had spade-smooth walls in the newly dug hole, etc. I was thinking that I need to basically dig out around the root ball, remove the tree, cut and manipulate the existing root system, prepare a proper hole, and replace the tree. What are my chances that the tree will survive and grow into a healthy, long-lived tree? Am I better off to just remove the tree and replace it correctly with new one? Thanks!

Comments (2)