SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daylilyfanatic4

Gravity Fed Drip How Much Water to apply

daylilyfanatic4
13 years ago

Hello, I'm attempting to design a gravity fed drip irrigation system for our Organic Gardeing Club.

Background:

The garden is only visited once a week.

There is NO acsess to running water or electricity.

The garden is on a fairly steep slope

All our water comes from a decent sized pond we built.

Pumps are out of the question.

I'm trying to design a system that is gravity fed from a series of 55 gallon drums raised a foot or so above the nearest bed on cinder blocks.

The system will have vary low pressure at the top of the hill but towards the bottom of the hill the pressure should increase a little. The system will be operated by a 0 PSI timer. A main line connected to the timer filter complex will run horizantaly across the top of the hill. Two lateral lines will run to each collum of beds. 1/4" inch drip tubing with inline emitters every 6" will run horizantal across the slope 6' from one lateral line to the other. Each 4 X 6 will have three drip lines. The system will have a built in mechanical rain shutoff.

Due to limited water supply I want to use the minimum amount of water per week to water the plants. given that a variety of vegtables will be grown ranging from corn to cabbage and tomatoes to strawberry spinach, peas lettuce, peppers etc.. how much water should be applied through each emitter every week. I know that the plants require different amonts of water but I'm just looking for a general estimate. .25 GPW (Gallons per week) .5 GPW?

Also does the resto of the system look good to you.

Comments (4)