SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

I am soooooooooo dumb!

Dumb, dumb, dumb!

Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Take away my garden tools, bulldoze the garden, maybe I could manage to take care of a couple pots of silk flowers?

(sigh)

OK, I was feeling so smug, so pleased with myself that I had managed to keep my first Buddleia alive over winter. It survived the polar vortex in Minnesota!

In early spring, I started a thread about the nice new growth I saw on My Buddleia. Now granted, the main stem seemed to have croaked, but there were some nice, green side stems with new growth popping out all over (kind of odd). Who cares, it survived.

I've been watching this plant grow like crazy all spring, but somehow it seemed different. The color was kind of off, the leaves looked kind of different and the plant was kind of floppy. Weird, but it was probably due to the cool, wet spring. It will toughen up when it gets warmer.

So today I was out in the garden tidying up. From a distance I looked in the direction of the Buddliea and saw something purple. They were flowers! Flowers already? I raced over to the plant for a better look and -------

Those aren't Buddleia flowers. Those are Belladonna flowers (Deadly Nightshade). How did that get in there? Snip, snip, snip with the pruners. Still more snip, snip, snip until there was nothing left. The Buddleia is gone. It never was here. It didn't survive the winter. All along I've been nursing a Belladonna thinking it was my Buddleia.

From the size of the Belladonna, I assume it started growing next to the Buddleia last year and i just didn't notice it. This spring, it took off.

Oh well. Yesterday I happened to stop at my favorite nursery and picked up a couple 1/2 price Veronicas. I had no idea where I was going to put them because the garden was full.

Now I have a spot.

Kevin

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths