SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geoff4224

GT235 Loss of Power After 15 Minutes

geoff4224
15 years ago

I recently bought a used GT235 from a local JD dealer. The mower was 8 years old but looked to be in perfect condition. I rode it around a little at the dealership and it seemed fine. First time cutting the grass it started to make a growling/rubbing sort of noise and lose power, particularly on hills (these aren't serious hills). Now every time I use the mower it is perfect for the first 15-20 minutes and then it starts to make the same noise. Usually it starts when I'm depressing the pedal about 60% and sometimes I can push through to about 90% and it will run smooth at high speed. Most of the time it the tractor will just stop moving. I can shut off the tractor and let it sit for about 10 minutes and then get back on and it will run great for another 10-15 minutes. I did notice that it will always move if I get off the tractor and stand behind it and engage the cruise control level at slow speed (this is how I walk the tractor back to the garage).

I changed the transaxle fluid following the instructions in the User Manual. The old fluid looked to be in very good shape. The blower fan on top of the transaxle seems to work well. I can stick my hand back while riding and feel the air blowing from the fan. I thought it might be the drive belt slipping so I dropped the deck and put a new drive belt on it (which was fun, I like working on mowers and cars).

I'm concerned that I have a bad transaxle but everything I read says the K71 is indestructible. The dealer said he sold the previous owner this GT235 in 2000 and sold him a new one this year, he claims the guys yard is about an acre of flat grass and that the mower was more than the yard required and was not used for heavy duty work.

What should I do next? The mower was bought as-is so I don't have any options there and it is in great condition, I'd rather just fix this one.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions