SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19703619

compost, wood chips, and lignin

User
12 years ago

I have clay soil. It's good stuff but when I mix compost into the surface of the soil, the compost soon vanishes. The soil is improved - better texture, and the color of the soil changes, which I take to be a sign that the humic and fulvic acids from the breakdown of the compost were absorbed by the clay.

So far, so good, but I'd like to see some organic material remain because I think that would be beneficial to the biota of the soil.

I have heard of tilling ramial mulch into soil and heard the good reports of that practice. Wood chips contain lignin, which breaks down more slowly than other forms of organic matter. In the past I have sometimes included wood chips in my home-made compost, based only on whether I have any chipped wood at the time. But I'm thinking that I ought to make it a 'standard practice' so that I am repeatedly supplying a source of lignin to my soil.

(I own a beefy little Mackissic Merry Mac 12hp hammermill chipper/shredder that produces a chip size controlled by the size of the screen. Also, the chipper feeds the chipped wood into the hammermill, so the chips get chipped [ul]and[/ul] shredded.)

Yes, I'm aware that a strictly wood-chip compost will inhibit plant growth, but I'm thinking that if the woody content of the compost was a minority component, (20% max.), I would be able to avoid the issue of unfinished compost.

Your thought?

Paul

Comments (4)