SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
old_desert_rat

Advice on PVC Pipe vs Black flexible Tubing

old_desert_rat
18 years ago

I am on a well on 2 1/2 desert acres. I have 165 trees and shrubs I have planted in the last two years. At present I have 16 zones (manual) on 1/2" black flex tubing with 1/4" flex spagetti with 1 emitter per plant. I water for 1 hr every three days and plants are doing well. My well output water line is 3/4" PVC (schedule 40?) for a water line to my spigots. I hook to my spigots with the 1/2" black flex tubing. I need to install an automated irrigation line with controller(s), Valve boxes, etc.

Question 1: Should I use 3/4" or 1" PVC (solid pipe) or 3/4" or 1" black flex tubing for my zones off the valve boxes?

Question 2: Would there be more of a pressure problem using 1" rather than 3/4" coming off my 3/4" main water line?

Question 3: Valve boxes (zones): I don't know what size these boxes come in, but obviously you can only get so many zone valves in a box and be able to work on them.

I am a real novice when it comes to irrigation, so I would appreciate any advice I can get on controllers, zone valve/boxes, size and type of water lines off these zone valves, and any other pertinent information.

Thanx,

Bill

Comments (5)