SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Correcting soil with pH 7.15 for acid loving perennials?

paulns
16 years ago

Last fall the local museum hired me to plant a variety of small gardens: cottage, herb, heath and heather, native shrubs. My supervisor got a couple of loads of topsoil delivered and it was very nice, weed-free sandy loam. Most topsoil sold hereabouts is weedy, acidic clay.

Our native soil is acidic, as it generally is in the Maritimes, so that is what I'm used to working with. Our soil at home is acidic and sandy, and for fours years we've had heaths and heathers flourishing in it without any amendments.

I assumed the topsoil that was delivered was also acidic. So I planted 25 heaths and heathers in it, mixing in some peat moss (which is cheating, and wrong, I know, but there were pressures...) and also transplanted all sorts of native shrubs, perennials and mosses from our woods into it.

Fall was a very busy time. It wasn't until late fall that I started thinking maybe I should have had the pH tested. I sent some away to the agricultural college. The result: pH 7.15. The man who delivered it didn't know anything about pH, and just smiled when I asked him where the soil came from, as if he were guarding a trade secret, good topsoil being so hard to find here.

Before winter settled I scratched some sulfur into the soil around the plants, mulched with wood chips and tried not to think about the spring.

Now that the snow is gone the heaths look okay, the heathers look bad - dusty and dull - and the mosses, bearberries and bayberry look nearly dead. I've always been devoted to organic methods but for the first time feel ready to try chemicals to save plants. Aluminum sulfate? Ammonium sulfate? Iron sulfate sounds good but is not available here, I'd have to find a mail order source. What can I do with this soil to save the plants, and what is happy at this pH?

Comments (13)