SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stlgal_gw

Arrrgh...RRD on my 'Anaconda of a rose'..dig the roots right now?

12 years ago

Once upon a time, I had 12 New Dawn roses cascading down and covering a brick wall along my back lot line. It was a magnificent sight in bloom. But over the past decade I lost all but one to RRD.

The final rose, more than 10 years old, now has RRD. I gave it a couple of chances when the first branches showed (cut them to the ground, in case it was herbicide damage instead)..but no, definitely RRD.

So I have just cut everything back to just below/at the ground, bagged it and gotten it well away from the 50+ roses in my garden, alcohol treated the lopper and am wondering what to do about the roots. The base of this thing is massive, 3+ feet in diameter with the bud union way below ground and a half dozen giant root systems emerging from below ground that would require a saw to cut through. I can't imagine it will even be possible to dig out as a live plant. The major roots will be yards long and like tree trunks. If I could do it, it would be a back-breaking task.

So I'm wondering whether I can instead leave the below ground stuff in place and 'Round up' any RRD growth that emerges this summmer. Then, once it is greatly weakened or killed, get the roots out. I managed to 'cure' one plant of RRD by forcing it to grow back from the roots (cut back to ground) as I got all of the infection, which was still limited to canes. Usually that isn't the case though and anything that emerges is infected. So I'm assuming it is likely a loss.

Just wondering if there are hazards to leaving the roots in place this season that warrant a massive earthworks project to remove this Anaconda of a rose...

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Comments (4)