SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Give up or wait some more

aachenelf z5 Mpls
10 years ago

This has been one of the coldest, wettest springs I have ever experienced. Actually, I believe it's making the record books.

Some examples of how far behind we are:

The azaleas are just finishing up
Peony buds are not even showing color yet
I think I threw out my last bouquet of tulips about a week ago

So here are the plants in question. I don't know if they're just stupidly slow or dead.

Hydrangea Endless Summer - not a sprout yet. I started to trim the dead wood and everything was dry and brittle except for some dark greenish stem portions right next to the ground.

My Caryopteris divaricata 'Snow Fairy' just put out one tiny sprout a few days ago. It was much larger last year. This one sprouts directly from the ground each year - no woody stems. Same for the 'Blue Butterflies' below.

Caryopteris div. 'Blue Butterflies' of which I have two huge plants - not a sign of anything.

Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue' and 'White Surprise'
These 2 are woody shrubs and sprout from the old wood each year. Not a sign of anything yet. When I started to do some pruning, all the small twiggy growth was dry and brittle, but when I scratched the surface of some of the larger stems, I did see green beneath the surface.

My gosh it's almost the middle of June, should I wait some more or give up and plant something else? I don't like to wait.

Kevin

Comments (8)