SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stone_garden

Just amazing rose blooms in N. Maryland this year

stone_garden
12 years ago

I don't post often, but perhaps my fellow Mid-Atlantic rose fans could chime in - I grow a modest group of roses front and back of my modest town home. I'm a pretty lackadaisical rose grower, I do spray, prune, etc. but certainly not as diligent as I could be.

This year, wow, the Walmart-purchased grandiflora New Year, which I always thought had a small amount of petals, is pumping out these big, fully-petaled soft tangerine blooms, looks like a different plant. My sulky Intrigue, a one-cane wonder that I keep in a pot (only for the occasional gorgeous purple bloom) is spewing out multiple clusters of huge, full, gorgeous purple flowers. Mardi Gras looks like a parade on a plant. Macy's Pride has burst into a multi-cluster wonder of lemon-cream full blossoms. The minis and patio roses are throwing multi-cluster candelabras. Tamora looks like a bunch of peach powder puffs, and on an on. So much fun to walk out the front door right now. I did lose an Abe Lincoln, but I think it picked up canker this winter and never rallied - getting replace with a Double Delight which I adore anyway.

Talked to my sister in law and she is having the same experience with her roses. The only thing I did differently is add a bit more fertilizer before all the rain started. When I get around to it, I will try spraying with this mineral stuff I got from HSN and see if it's the miracle they claim, LOL.

It won't last, and my bushes will not be happy when the steamy heat arrives, but for now - just magnificent(:

Comments (2)